This week your assignment will be focusing on conducting a community assessment and writing a health policy brief. You will need to have a community health provider to interview. The interview does not have to be in person but needs to be with a community health provider that works in the community being assessed. You will use the Functional Health Patterns document provided in the Study Materials Folder to conduct a “windshield” survey of your community. Note: you will need to do some research to find supportive data for many components of the Functional Health Patterns that cannot be determined through a windshield survey. Ex. Child abuse rates, STI rates, Obesity %, etc. The Functional Health Patterns data is part of your PPTX. Speaker notes should be provided for content slides.
The RN to BSN program at Grand Canyon University meets the requirements for clinical competencies as defined by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), using nontraditional experiences for practicing nurses. These experiences come in the form of direct and indirect care experiences in which licensed nursing students to engage in learning within the context of their hospital organization, specific care discipline, and local communities.
This assignment consists of both an interview and a PowerPoint (PPT) presentation.
Select a community of interest in your region. Perform a physical assessment of the community.
1. Perform a direct assessment of a community of interest using the “Functional Health Patterns Community Assessment Guide.”
2. Interview a community health and public health provider regarding that person’s role and experiences within the community.
Interviews can take place in-person, by phone, or by Skype.
Develop interview questions to gather information about the role of the provider in the community and the health issues faced by the chosen community.
Complete the “Provider Interview Acknowledgement Form” prior to conducting the interview. Submit this document separately in its respective dropbox.
Compile key findings from the interview, including the interview questions used, and submit these with the presentation.
Create a PowerPoint presentation of 15-20 slides (slide count does not include title and references slide) describing the chosen community interest.
Include the following in your presentation:
1. Description of community and community boundaries: the people and the geographic, geopolitical, financial, educational level; ethnic and phenomenological features of the community, as well as types of social interactions; common goals and interests; and barriers, and challenges, including any identified social determinates of health.
2. Summary of community assessment: (a) funding sources and (b) partnerships.
3. Summary of interview with community health/public health provider.
4. Identification of an issue that is lacking or an opportunity for health promotion.
5. A conclusion summarizing your key findings and a discussion of your impressions of the general health of the community.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.