Evaluate ideas and values underpinning services from the late 19th Century to the present day.
Over the years certain ideas and values have come to shape learning disability services. For example, when people with a learning disability were seen as a threat we had segregated institutions, and when seen as uneducable they were denied schooling. Learning disability nursing today, just like the services in which they work, is driven by a set of underpinning values which influences the relationship between the nurse and the people they care for. Some of these values can be seen in publications such as ‘Valuing People’ (DH,2001) and more recently Valuing People Now (DH,2009) which lay down the principles of current services for people with learning disabilities and their families. How these will be implemented is set out in Valuing people now: the delivery plan (DH,2009).
• Word Limit 2500 words (+/- 10%)
• Discuss the key developments in values that have taken place.
• Harvard referencing required
How to write this essay
Define learning disabilities ( Read Royal college of psychiatrists DCLD 2007 and Valuing people 2001)
This essay will trace the historical developments from a historical period when the general health of the nation was considered more important than the rights of people with learning disabilities as they were portrayed as unworthy of life (Atherton and Crickmore 2012) to the current practices that are underpinned by anti-discrimination laws and service provisions that are person centred (Burrel and Trip 2010).
2)Define eugenics ( read (Atherton and Crickmore 2012) Discuss the different names given to people with learning disabilities eg feeble minded, retards , economically useless etc. Talk about institution for people with learning disabilities and how it affected them example restrictions in their movement etc.
3) Talk about what happened after the Second World War (1945) where society wanted the closure of camps and asylums for people with LD. How society wanted people to be part of society hence, the theories of care in community (that’s during the late 50s and early 1960’s)
4) Discuss the 1957 mental health act and how it empowered people with LD.
Discuss briefly about normalisation (people interpretation of normalisation of it.( reference John obrian)
6) Talk about the Ely hospital in the early 70’s which prompted government first white paper in 1971(ref Bob gates and…..)
7) After normalisation discuss human right act (1990) and Valuing People (2001) and the equality act (2010). Talk about the significance of the above rights to people with LD example having the same rights as ‘normal people’ and the role of the nurse to support their right mentioned above
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH CHEAP NURSING TUTORS TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT
The post Evaluate ideas and values underpinning services (learning disability services) from the late 19th Century to the present day. appeared first on Cheap Nursing Tutors.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.