Promoting Safety, Independence, and Least Restrictive Environments
Purpose of Assignment:
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate an understanding of safe post-operative care for older adults, including discharge options that promote an independent and least restrictive options.
Your 70-year-old client, Max, is 1 hour post-op following a total hip replacement. On arrival to his room, Max tells you that his hip pain is an 8 on a scale of 1-10. As per the doctor’s order, you administer Demerol 50 mg IM. Max is usually up ad lib, and alert and oriented. However, he is a little sleepy and confused following the pain medication.
In a Word document, answer the following:
1. What safety concerns exist for Max?
2. What interventions would we take to insure Max’s safety?
3. Is Demerol a good choice for 70-year-old Max? Why or why not?
4. You are in a discharge meeting for Max which is also attended by Max’s wife, the RN leading the team today, physical therapy, and a pharmacist. Max’s wife would like him to return home, but isn’t sure how she will manage. What type of services could help Max safely return home?
· Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.)
· Logical, original and insightful
· Professional organization, style, and mechanics in APA format
· Submit document through Grammarly to correct errors before submission