Open Discussion: Therapy for Clients With Personality Disorders:
Personality Disorders from the DSM-5.
Write on Borderline Personality Disorder
Include in your post (2 to 3 pages).
· Describe the personality disorder you were assigned.
· Explain a therapeutic approach (including psychotropic medications if appropriate) you might use to treat a client presenting with this disorder.
· Include how you would share your diagnosis of this disorder to the client in order to avoid damaging the therapeutic relationship.
· Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
At least 3 citations and 3 matching references.
American Nurses Association. (2014). Psychiatric-mental health nursing: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
· Standard 5H “Psychotherapy” (pages 63-64)
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
· Chapter 20, “Termination and Outcome Evaluation” (Review pp. 693–712)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Dixon-Gordon, K. L., Turner, B. J., & Chapman, A. L. (2011). Psychotherapy for personality disorders. International Review Of Psychiatry, 23(3), 282-302. doi:10.3109/09540261.2011.586992
Lorentzen, S., Ruud, T., Fjeldstad, A., & Høglend, P. A. (2015). Personality disorder moderates outcome in short- and long-term group analytic psychotherapy: A randomized clinical trial. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 54(2), 129-146. doi:10.1111/bjc.12065
Paris, J. (2004). Personality disorders over time: implications for psychotherapy. American Journal Of Psychotherapy, 58(4), 420-429.
Swift, J. K., & Greenberg, R. P. (2015). What is premature termination, and why does it occur? In Premature termination in psychotherapy: Strategies for engaging clients and improving outcomes (pp. 11–31). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. doi:10.1037/14469-002
Dorr, D. (1999). Approaching psychotherapy of the personality disorders from the Millon perspective. Journal of Personality Assessment, 72(3), 407–425. PMID: 10491846
Bach, B., Lee, C., Mortensen, E. L., & Simonsen, E. (2016). How do DSM-5 personality traits align with schema therapy constructs? Journal of Personality Disorders, 30(4), 502–529. doi:10.1521/pedi_2015_29_212