For electronic health records (EHR) and clinical decision support systems (CDS) to truly be successful, Cimino, along with many other health care professionals, expresses the vital need to standardize and control the terminology being used in health care settings.
For this Discussion, you will use one of Cimino’s desiderata (or themes) to critically appraise a nursing terminology set:
Cimino’s 12 themes for the 21st century:
- Vocabulary content
- Concept orientation
- Concept permanence
- Nonsemantic concept identifiers
- Formal definitions
- Reject NEC “Not Elsewhere Classified”
- Multiple granularities
- Multiple consistent views
- Representing context
- Graceful evolution
- Recognize redundancy
- Review the article “Desiderata for Controlled Medical Vocabularies in the Twenty-First Century” in this week’s Learning Resources. Consider how each theme aims to control the vocabulary used by nursing terminologies.
- Reflect on prominent standardized nursing terminologies sets, such as NIC, SNOMED, SABA, NANDA, and NOC. How might these terminologies compare to the requirements outlined in Cimino’s 12 themes?
- Select one nursing terminology set and one of Cimino’s themes to further examine. Does the terminology align with the requirements of this theme? Why or why not?
BY DAY 3
Post a brief description of the nursing terminology set and theme you selected. Explain whether this terminology aligns with the requirements and why. Provide terminology and vocabulary examples to support your answer.
Use this references:
1. Saba, V. K., & McCormick, K. A. (2015). Essentials of nursing informatics (6th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
2. Scherb, C. A., & Weydt, A. P. (2009). Work complexity assessment, nursing interventions classification, and nursing outcomes classification: Making connections. Creative Nursing, 15(1), 16–22.
3. Truran, D., Saad, P., Zhang, M., & Innes, K. (2010). SNOMED CT and its place in health information management practice. Health Information Management Journal, 39(2), 37–39.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.