* HOMEWORK 1:
Watch the Love Canal and Santa Clara Water District videos.
Love Canal happened in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. It resulted in a major Environmental Protection Act (EPA) called CERCLA or Superfund.
After watching the videos and reviewing the information posted on Superfund in the PowerPoint of the website, answer the following questions:
1) Who was Lois Gibbs and what was her role in the Love Canal event?
2) What was the main chemical found at Love Canal. What health issues does that chemical cause?
3) What are the major issues you see with the Love Canal case study? How did it happen and who specifically do you think is to blame?
4) What could and should have been done to keep Love Canal from happening?
5) What specifically does the Superfund Act accomplish? Do you think it is effective?
6) Love Canal has supposedly been cleaned up? Do you think it is??
7) After watching the video on the Santa Clara County Water District, how do you feel about our ability to clean and use contaminated water?
8) We all love our new technological products developed in Silicon Valley. Do you have any concerns that the chemicals used in the manufacturing process of technology products can affect our health? Why or why not? How is the the SC Valley Water District trying to solve the potential problems with chemical in our drinking water?
Choose any TWO Environmental Laws below- Research them and answer the questions on the next page